JOIN NOW | Print Page | Contact Us | Sign In
News & Press: Latest News

Employers Must Notify Workers of Possible Premium Assistance

Monday, February 12, 2018  
Share |

Employers providing group health insurance in states with premium assistance through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) must provide annual notice of that assistance before the start of each plan year.

The notice explains how employees can find out if premium assistance is available, and how to apply for Medicare or CHIP coverage for dependents.

Here's what employers need to know. Employers can choose to provide the notice on its own or concurrent with the furnishing of:

1. Materials notifying the employee of health plan eligibility.

2. Materials provided to the employee in connection with an open season or election process conducted under the plan.

3. The summary plan description (SPD).

If all of the above are complete, the employer should distribute the revised CHIP Notice as an ad hoc "Notice" to employees for review and receipt acknowledgement.

A copy of the revised notice from the Department of Labor can be found here.

Which states provide premium assistance? If you live in one of the following states, premium assistance may be available.

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Massachusetts
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Hampshire


2400 Ardmore Blvd., Suite 302
Pittsburgh, PA 15221
Phone: 412-243-5156
Fax: 412-243-5160

Privacy Statement