New Medicare Card: Why Use the MBI?
Wednesday, October 2, 2019
Use Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers (MBIs) now to protect your patients’ identities. Don’t have an MBI?
- Ask your patients for their cards. If they did not get a new card, give them the Get Your New Medicare Card flyer in English or Spanish.
- Use your Medicare Administrative Contractor’s look-up tool. Sign up for the Portal to use the tool.
- Check the remittance advice. We return the MBI on the remittance advice for every claim with a valid and active Health Insurance Claim Number (HICN).
Starting Jan. 1, 2020, you must use MBIs regardless of the date of service:
- We will reject claims you submit with HICNs with a few exceptions
- We will reject all eligibility transactions you submit with HICNs
For more information: