Did you know that:
- 71% of healthcare professionals reported medical errors resulting from toxic behaviors.
- 75% reported that these medical errors could have been prevented.
- 51% of victims of intimidation are likely to quit; 31% of nurses did.
- 92% rated the severity of toxic behaviors 7 to 10 on a 10-point scale.
- 94% of professionals have interacted with a toxic person in the past five years.
- 92% of customers witnessing toxic employee interchanges told others; some never return.
- 6% of total compensation costs is how much a toxic employees cost your organization.
In this webinar, Dr. Mitch Kusy—internationally renowned researcher, author, corporate psychologist, and professor—shares the most cutting-edge research on toxic behaviors and what to do about it. “Toxic personalities come in all shapes and sizes from narcissists to bullies to clever chameleons who knock down, but kiss up,” said Dr. Mitch Kusy, author of his just-released book Why I Don’t Work Here Anymore: A Leader’s Guide to Offset the Financial and Emotional Costs of Toxic Employees. They shame, manipulate, and belittle in public and private as their modus operandi. We in healthcare feel the angst they cause but are often unaware of how prevalent they are or how much they cost—in terms of patient safety, team performance, and money. Until now. In this webinar, Dr. Mitch Kusy shares his extensive 3-year national study with over 400 individuals on toxic personalities—a whopping 39% from healthcare! They are the #1 reason good people quit. This webinar extends beyond intuition, which is often proven wrong in how to handle these Dr. Jekylls and Mr. Hydes. You will experience Dr. Mitch Kusy’s Toxic Cost Worksheet in which you will calculate the financial cost of toxic behaviors in your organization—in less than 2 minutes! Fasten your seat belts…you’re in for a webinar that is entertaining, chock full of learning, and applications-driven. And one that is bound to create a workplace of less drama!
- Use 2 simple methods to avoid hiring a toxic person into your practice.
- Identify 3 ways to give feedback that improves performance.
- Restructure exit interviews to better detect bullying behaviors.
- Reduce total compensation costs by anywhere from 4% and 6%.
- Improve patient service with team interactions that model everyday civility.
- Build a better performance management system with 60% focus on task; 40% on values.
- Reduce turnover up to 12%.
- Improve team climate by as much as 87%.
About the speaker:
Dr. Mitchell Kusy
A 2005 Fulbright Scholar in organization development, Dr. Kusy is a professor in the international PhD Program in Leadership & Change at Antioch University. Mitch has consulted nationally and internationally and has been a keynote speaker with over 250 healthcare organizations and a quoted expert in national publications such as the New York Times—helping create work cultures of respectful engagement impacting individual, team, and bottom-line performance. He has been a featured expert on national radio and TV shows. Mitch previously headed leadership development at the largest HMO in the Midwest, HealthPartners, as well as head of executive development at American Express. His heavily researched evidence-based practices are included in his latest book, Why I Don’t Work Here Anymore: A Leader’s Guide to Offset the Financial and Emotional Costs of Toxic Employees. Mitch’s 3-year research study on toxic personalities has been hailed as a benchmark for the consideration of all healthcare practices. Mitch has also authored five other business books—one a business best-seller. In 1998, he was Minnesota Organization Development Practitioner of the Year. He resides in Minneapolis and Palm Springs.